Sunday, April 1, 2012

Future Yankees at St. Mary's!


      
      This week at St. Mary's we concentrated on throwing and catching skills.  My group had the older students, fourth and fifth graders.  Our games went over pretty well but it was a struggle to get the students involved.  The older students at St. Mary's love to play basketball and at first they didn't want to play our games.  Ryan, Mallory and I each told them if they participate in our games then we would play basketball after our lessons.  Luckily this incentive worked and we had about ten students stay and play.  I was pleasantly surprised at some of the students arms, they were advanced at throwing and catching.  Cortland must have a great little league!  
       We were in the gym for a long time with our students and it was nice because we had time to interact and get to know them.  One student in particular John, loves me and he listens to everything I say so he takes it upon himself to have his friends listen and follow directions.  I thought that was pretty cool!  While John was playing basketball he got upset because another student who was guarding him accidentally elbowed him.  I saw the incident happen and it wasn't on purpose so I took John and Thomas aside individually, and we worked the problem out.  I was excited we solved the problem and the tears stopped pouring out of John's eyes. Thomas apologized for elbowing John and our solution was that Thomas and John would be on the same team so they did not have to guard each other. When they started playing again it was like they were brand new kids on the court, they were both happy and passing the ball to each other!  It was a very exciting week at St. Mary's to say the least, I can't wait to go back in a week.  Solving Thomas and John's problem reminded me of summer camp and has gotten me really excited for this summer where I will be working at the Hampton Country Day Camp as a camp counselor!!
Be sure to check out my lab four!

No comments:

Post a Comment